Due to the increased online trade, more and more delivery drivers are needed. This profession also offers many opportunities, which is why it is sometimes also referred to as a service driver.
Delivery drivers transport goods and hand them out to customers. Before starting a tour they prepare the route, receive goods and delivery bills, check them for completeness and load their vehicle. Afterwards, they drive to the destinations in the planned order and hand over parcels to the recipients, carry pieces of furniture or appliances into the house or transport goods for the retail store into the storage rooms. In addition, they advise customers, instruct them how to operate a delivered appliance or take complaints.
After delivery, they obtain delivery receipts and, if necessary, accept payments. At the end of their tour, they unload their vehicles and forward picked-up goods or undeliverable shipments, orders, delivery documents and receipts to the appropriate offices.
In German, Delivery Driver is called…
Lieferfahrer | Zusteller | Paketbote | Servicefahrer
Why should You apply as a Delivery Driver
1. Flexible Schedule: You can choose when you work and for how long, allowing you to work around other commitments.
2. Good Earnings Potential: With the right amount of work, you can make a good amount of money as a delivery driver.
3. Increased Autonomy: You are largely in control of your own work and you can choose which deliveries to take.
4. Variety of Work: You get to meet different people, explore different areas and experience a variety of different tasks.
5. Low Start-up Costs: With the right vehicle and some basic equipment, you can set yourself up as a delivery driver without too much initial outlay.
6. No Previous Experience Necessary: You don’t need to have any prior experience to become a delivery driver and most employers offer on-the-job training.
Many job ads mention the following advantages and benefits:
- Permanent employment contract in full-time (38.5 hrs. | week)
- Above-tariff remuneration – guaranteed salary increase in accordance with collective agreement & affiliation
- Bonuses for overtime, night work, Sunday work & public holidays
- Holiday & Christmas bonus
- Various development opportunities (e.g. to site manager)
- Attractive employee discounts (e.g. company pension plan, bicycle leasing, discounts with mobile phone providers, etc.)
Hourly wages are frequently announced as 14.50€ to 18€
Next career steps might be Truck-Driver, Postman or Taxi-Driver.
Basic Requirements for Delivery Driver…
German Minimum B1 | Driver´s License | Fitness
What it needs to succeed as a Delivery Driver
What to Do in detail
As a Delivery Driver, You will…
- operate vehicles or material-moving equipment
- provide transportation information to passengers or customers
- record transactions data
- record details of deliveries or shipments
- resolve issues affecting transportation operations
- clean machinery or equipment
- maintain vehicles in good working condition