Civil engineering assistants support skilled workers in setting up and securing construction sites, e.g. by erecting traffic signs and putting up barriers. They provide materials, tools and machines, load the required materials and equipment onto vehicles, transport them to the site and unload them. They also help, for example, with the construction of excavations, trenches, shafts and embankments, the draining of trenches and areas or the compaction of soil. They help lay pipes, cables or rails and construct paved surfaces, slabbed surfaces and asphalt surfaces.
During excavations, civil engineering assistants clear the excavation site on instruction, for example, they loosen hard and stony soils with a pick and remove the soil with a shovel. They then transport the earth from the excavation site using a wheelbarrow. In civil engineering, many tasks are performed with the aid of construction machinery such as asphalt mixing plants, earthmoving and paving machines, which helpers with the appropriate experience and authorization can also operate independently and, if necessary, clean and maintain.
In German, Civil Engineering Assistant is called…
Tiefbauhelfer | Bauhelfer | Straßenbauhelfer
Why should You apply as a Civil Engineering Assistant
A civil engineering assistant job provides various benefits, which include:
- Opportunity to work on significant projects such as roads, buildings, and bridges
- Promising job outlook and career growth
- Competitive salary and benefits packages
- Opportunities to work in diverse and exciting locations
- Involves applying knowledge in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles in real-world applications
- Access to modern technology tools to assist with project design
- Possibility to work with a team of knowledgeable and experienced professionals
- Offers practical experience and potential for professional development
Many job ads mention the following advantages and benefits:
- Permanent employment contract
- Good initial training
- Year-round employment
- Attractive remuneration according to collective agreement
- Special annual payment and capital-forming benefits
- Wide range of opportunities for personal development and advancement
- Modern working environment and good working atmosphere with flat hierarchies
- Mobile devices (IPhone) for every employee
- High-quality work clothes and tools
- Regular events for the entire team
Hourly wages are frequently announced as 13.50 to 17€
Next career step is an apprenticeship to “Straßenbauer” oder “Tiefbauer”.
Basic Requirements for Civil Engineering Assistants…
German Minimum B2 | Physical Condition
What it needs to succeed as a Civil Engineering Assistant
The performance of the job may involve the following physical requirements:
- Resilience of spine, legs, arms, and hands
- Body strength
- Physical agility
- Resilient cardiovascular system
- Physical endurance
What to Do in detail
- Position construction or extraction equipment.
Monitor construction operations.
Operate equipment or vehicles to clear construction sites or move materials.
Move construction or extraction materials to locations where they are needed.
Locate equipment or materials in need of repair or replacement.
Maintain construction tools or equipment.
Signal equipment operators to indicate proper equipment positioning.
Load or unload materials used in construction or extraction.
Operate heavy-duty construction or installation equipment.