Forklift operators work with forklifts and other material handling equipment, which they are able to operate in confined spaces. Manual labor is involved when they carry out maintenance and servicing work. They wear safety clothing and sometimes ear protection. They mainly work in warehouses and handling halls of companies, sometimes also outdoors. Here they are exposed to the weather. The halls are often drafty and cold in winter and hot and stuffy in summer. There can also be noise. Depending on the company, shift work is common.
In German, Forklift Operator is called…
Staplerfahrer | Gabelstaplerfahrer
Why should You apply as a Forklift Operator
1. Increased job security: Forklift operators are in demand in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, distribution, logistics, and warehousing.
2. Variety of job opportunities: Forklift operators may work in a variety of different industries, so they can find work in many different areas.
3. Opportunity for advancement: Forklift operators can move up the ranks from an operator to a supervisor or even a manager.
4. Opportunity to learn new skills: Operating a forklift requires a variety of skills, such as how to maneuver the vehicle and how to properly load and unload materials.
5. Good pay: Forklift operators can earn competitive salaries and benefits. What are the benefits as a forklift operator
Many job ads mention the following advantages and benefits:
- A permanent job in full time
- Vacation bonus and Christmas bonus
- Bonus payments
- Company bicycle
- Flat structures
- Employee discounts
- Fruit selection basket
Hourly wages are frequently announced as 16 to 19€.
As you might expect, there will be an initital training called „Flurfördermittelschein“ or „Staplerschein“. This takes approx. 1 week.
A next career step could be the vocational training as “Fachkraft für Lagerlogistik”
Basic Requirements for Forklift Operator…
German Minimum B2 | Initial Training
What it needs to succeed as a Forklift Operator
What to Do in detail
- Calculate weights, volumes or other characteristics of materials.
Material handling or moving activities.
Inform truck drivers on proper operational procedures.
Load shipments, belongings, or materials.
Observe cargo area conditions.